Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Honest Truth

When my ten-year old wanted to order a book online, the general rule is that I whet her choice. However, I relaxed the rule this time and allowed to maker her choice. She had ordered The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart, a first time author and one I haven’t heard of.

More than a month after both the kids had finished reading this book I picked it up. I didn’t let them know I was going to read the book lest they tell me the ending. Once bitten twice shy.


The book is about Mark a small boy who has cancer and how frustrated with his treatment he leaves his house to climb Mt. Rainier. It is a heartbreaking novel of this little boy who leaves home with his dog without informing anyone. Apart from leaving a clue for his best friend, no one has any idea of his destination. Whether Mark reaches his destination, did he climb Mt. Rainier and what happened to him and his dog Beau is what the book is all about. There are poignant moments in the book that makes the reader empathize with Mark. This unusual plot by the author and the lucid imagery of words make this a worthy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment