Monday, March 27, 2023

My Evil Mother by Margaret Atwood


 I found this delightful short story My Evil Mother by Margaret Atwood while, browsing for books. Earlier, I had begun reading the Handmaid’s Tale and gave up halfway. So I wondered briefly if I should read this. But since it was a short story I went ahead and was not disappointed.  

The narrator, a teenager believes her mom to be a witch. While the mother leads her on to believe so and assures her daughter that she does it for her good. 


There are several instances where a one can actually relate to the mother -daughter relationship. 


The mother and daughter soon grow apart as the girl grows up and moves to go to college. Only later in life, they get together. The story ends with the daughter having a teenager to deal and how she uses similar instances to stop her daughter from doing things.

 

It is a humorous read, as you begin to wonder if the mother really was a witch.

 

A quote in the story that resonated with me was the mother saying “why would I care about the tittle-tattle of the uninformed? Ignorant gossip. I could so imagine my own mother having said this when I was a teenager.

 

This short story brought a smile and all daughters and mothers should give it a read. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment