Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Alias Grace


When I picked up The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, I thought it was a little slow moving and I gave up reading after 50 pages. So it was with great trepidation I picked Alias Grace by the same author and it was unputdownable. It's a fictionalised true story that happened in the 1800s.

Grace the protagonist of the story is somehow involved in a double murder and her partner in crime is hanged for it. Grace due to behavioural disorders is sent to a lunatic asylum. She is then shunted to the penitentiary and serves time. She also works as a maid in the governor's house. Twenty years into her imprisonment, a doctor arrives and listens to her tale at the behest of the Reverend of the church.

Dr. Simon Jordan arrives daily at the governor's house and tries to understand Grace and her story. He meticulously writes down her story, hoping that he would be able to get her a pardon and release from the penitentiary.

Does Simon succeed, did Grace get out of the penitentiary, makes up the rest of the story. Atwood's writing is outstanding, with a deep understanding of human behaviour. Each character is well etched that it  will remain in memory for a long time. 

I am glad I read the book before watching the series of the same name on Netflix.

Now I have to read The Handmaid's Tale next.


No comments:

Post a Comment